Music at Faith Des Peres
Music is an integral part of the life of Faith Des Peres Presbyterian Church and a variety of traditions and styles in organ, piano, and choral music enhances worship.
Our services have an informal formality to our worship. The basic order of our service remains largely the same each week, yet within that familiar framework there is variety and innovation. We respect tradition but embrace change through creating a sensory rich worship.
Faith Des Peres offers 2 choral scholarships to students who then help to lead the choir and provide special music for worship services. There is also an annual budget for special musicians and the Janet Boyer Fund, which provides additional funds to enhance worship with different musical mediums.
In the past, Faith Des Peres has enjoyed having in worship the Carol Beth True Trio, a mariachi band, a trombone quartet, and a Dixieland group in addition to other special music.
DIRECTOR OF MUSIC/ORGANIST
General Understandings and Covenants
1. Music is an integral part of the life of Faith Des Peres Presbyterian Church. Under the leadership of the Pastor, the Director of Music/Organist exercises an important ministry that reaches out to the staff, choir members, members of the congregation, and the community.
2. The Director of Music/Organist agrees to recognize and facilitate the pastoral dimension of this position.
3. The music ministry will involve the Director of Music/Organist as an educator and principal musician of this congregation. The Director of Music/Organist’s concern for all members of the choir and the congregation are to exemplify the religious spirit of this place. As an educator, the Director of Music/Organist will teach music and explain liturgical concepts. As a musician, the Director of Music/Organist will be diligent in preparation and performance, and will cooperate with others to provide and enable the highest possible standard of worship in this congregation.
4. It is understood that a variety of traditions and styles in organ and choral music is appropriate for the services, and that the use of a variety of instruments is expected.
Director of Music/Organist’s Responsibilities
The Director of Music/Organist shall:
1. Provide organ/piano music and direct the choir(s) at the Sunday morning service at 10:30 am each Sunday of the church year and shall select appropriate organ and choral music for each service.
Provide organ/piano and choral music for the following additional services during the year: Ash Wednesday, Maundy Thursday, Good Friday, Easter Sunrise, and Christmas Eve.
2. Rehearse once weekly (or as otherwise specified) with the choir. During the summer months, music shall be provided as follows: organ/piano pieces or soloists/instrumentalists when and where appropriate.
3. Cooperate with the Pastor, Session and/or Worship Arts Team in the area of general planning and leadership of the music program.
4. Be responsible for the purchase of all music and music supplies, the hiring of instrumental and vocal soloists, and the hiring and supervising of section leaders.
5. Maintain the music library in an orderly fashion and maintain, at the Church’s expense, a suitable number of copies of musical pieces to enable performance of those pieces by the choirs or ensembles.
6. Attend scheduled meetings with pastor and Worship Arts Team, and attend other committee meetings as may be necessary.
7. Report to the appropriate committee(s) on the condition and needs for the maintenance of the Church’s musical instruments, including the organ.
Weddings and Funerals
1. The Director of Music/Organist shall ordinarily provide music for weddings and funeral services held within the Church’s premises if available at the time of the wedding or funeral. The fee for such a service shall be $200.