Congratulations to our newest member, Mark Antunes, for winning first prize in our Chili Cook-off. You can find a copy of Mark’s winning recipe below.
· 2 medium yellow onions, coarsely chopped
· 1 medium bell pepper, coarsely chopped
· 6 medium garlic cloves, finely chopped
· 1 tsp chili powder
· 1 package chili seasoning
· 1/2 tsp ground chipotle pepper
· 1 tablespoon ground cumin
· 2 pounds lean ground beef
· 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes
· 1 (14-ounce) can tomato sauce
· 2 (15-ounce) cans kidney beans, drained and rinsed
· 1/4 cup coarsely chopped pickled jalapeños or green chiles, drained
· 1/4 cup salsa
· A pinch of dried oregano
· A smaller pinch of cayenne pepper
Cook the ground beef in a frying pan. Sprinkle some chili powder on top while it's cooking. Drain off the fat. Cook peppers and onions in frying pan a little bit (optional). Then put all ingredients in a crock pot on low for 8-10 hours.
Best served with shredded cheddar and/or sour cream.